The foundation stones of today's ELTE University of Budapest, Hungary, were laid in 1635. By the end of the 18th century, the University became the Royal Hungarian University. In 1950 the university was reorganized and adopted its present name. It was named after one of its professors, the world-famous physicist, Loránd Eötvös. Currently, the university has eight faculties, most important of which are: Science, Informatics, Law and Political Sciences, Humanities, Social Sciences.
The Faculty of Law and Political Sciences is one of the oldest faculties of the University, established in 1667, and until 1872 the only institution in Hungary teaching law at university level. It is presently engaged in training in the broad field of humanitarian action through its most important Masters programme, namely the training of lawyers, especially during the past decade, introducing new subjects into its curriculum dealing with the issue, mainly through the area of international law and cooperation. By strengthening this component, more and more graduated students have found a career in this field. Moreover these areas are being integrated into other main training fields of the institution, namely teaching political science and humanitarian policy on a longer term.